Frost sensitive plants can go in after Labor Day. Heed those words. After! It poured hail and frost on Labor Day. I wasn’t please. 35mm of precipitation.

My impatiently planted out tomato plants took the wrath of my seemingly lack of patience from the hail, which later froze the ground. Almost every plant in the garden look like the picture above now, bruised leaves. The hail even managed to dismembered one of the smaller dwarf tomato plant. I did not hesitate to give them a spray of Nux Vomica C30 followed by Silicea C200 the following day.

Spring is definitely here. More and more colors are starting to show up in the wildflowers meadow!

I thought I will have some dwarf sunflowers while the saffron corms are lying dormant. However, I accidentally forced them, and they are coming up too!

The heirloom Paraketia Potatoes are coming up nicely, and mounded of course. I have to figure out what to plant on the other side of the cloche soon.

Here we have the virgin peas of Orchard Cottage. Probably the only peas I am ever going to eat for this season.

I mentioned about my liquid manure before. The ultimate home brew. Using worm juice as the base. Add in Bio Dynamic weeds, and other goodies. Make it bubbly, and the stink probably helps to keep possums away!

I am a sucker at impulse purchase. I got this straggly lot of Camarosa strawberry from Country Gardens for just $3, its the leftovers of the season! I treated them with Ignatia C30 and they look good already. Psychologically speaking. The plan is to nurse them back to health and hang them!

And of strawberries, something has been taking nips at my unripened strawberries in the beds! I guess I could procrastinate no further to build the bird netting lids over them. I have finally figured out a design where I could easily incorporate the frost cloth over it. Stay tuned for the un-patented design finale!

Did a short grafting course yesterday. We gave the apple tree heaps. It is definitely a confidence booster, to be shown the ropes by seasoned expert. There’s only that much detail a book or the internet can provide…

At the orchard, we have started work in the vineyard, thinning out shoots so that we get about 12 shoots per vine.

The cherries are looking great too. However, at some blocks where we thought its going to be a bumper crop had a poor set. We would have to link that up with poor hive placement and gloomy weather. I read somewhere that bees will first look within the first 400m radius, which is true to the logical path of least resistance. Don’t take the beekeeper’s word for consolation when he tell you that bees can travel more than 1km to do their job, that’s what bees do when there are nothing to eat within 1km radius. We will probably try our hands on some bumblee bee hives for next season as well, they are a lot more hardworking than the usual honey bees.

Here’s some orchard drama. There’s only 2 of this tractor in New Zealand. One of them had been written off and parked away perpetually because it was under-power and kept breaking down. The other one, well, it got stuck at the top of the vineyard because it was under-power. Mind you, not all inheritance are good. We managed to pull it out, almost tipping it sideways in the process. The steering is acting up too, refusing to turn, something to do with the hydraulics which the entire tractor works on. The half tank rule up the slope no longer applies, its a quarter tank from now on.

Caesar is still undecided about the young bulls. I did some amateur fencing work in the afternoon to patch up the South fence. Now, he can no longer squeeze his way through the fence. Hopefully, he wouldn’t be able to find another way out of the Orchard Cottage.

Advertisements