The weather calmed down a wee bit this week. We have some nice sunny days. In time for the firewood delivery. The last two year, the delivery of firewood was done in the rain. It’s not that fun putting wet firewood away.

image

17mm of rain accumulated this week. Some hail, some rain, and now the hills are covered with snow. We have a high of 17dC and a low of 1dC.

image

For the first time, the firewood were stacked away properly, like it should be, instead of being dumped in a pile.

image

Obviously, I didn’t do it. I don’t think I am even capable of stacking firewood away nicely.

image

 

I’ve set up a really cool wobbling sprinkler head at the top of the subtropical garden which will go on in conjunction with the mister in the wee hours of the morning to help with the frost fighting.

image

The raspberries in pots are being moved to the front of the raised beds. I’ll use the raised bed structure to build a raspberry trellis.

image

More work has been done on the giant cloche. It will need a bit more modification and next week, the whole structure will take its semi-final shape.

image

The greenhouse have a new entrance way now. I plan to do the internal division next week.

image

This bit here under the black weedmat will be a larger scale three sisters guild next season.

image

Testing the viability of the saved sweetcorn seeds. Its creepy that they are all blanched. Growing in the darkness of the hot water cabinet.

 

image

I’ve done the calculation on the fertilizer requirement based on the REAMS soil test report. I’ll need 135kg of lime, 10kg of Ammonium-N, and 200kg of Para-magnetic Rock Dust. The other nutrient levels are in fact quite good. I’m just surprised that the humus rating was quite low. Hopefully the mulching will help with it next season.

image

The Orchard Cottage this week. I noticed some hazelnut catkins on the them hazelnut trees.

Advertisements